Friday, October 12, 2007

Enchilada Sauce

I'm not like my aunts and grandma who boil chili peppers to make sauce. This recipe is fast and easy.

You can change any of these ingredients to taste or depending on the amount of sauce you need. I included the reasons why particular ingredients are used. Try different variations to find a combo that works for your family:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons flour (to thicken the sauce)

1-2 tablespoon(s) chili powder (amount depending on taste preference, I like mild chili powder best)

onion to taste (a minced fresh onion is best, but chopped onion in the spice isle will work too - just don't toast these)

1/2-1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin

minced garlic (or garlic powder)- to taste

1-2 teaspoon(s) sugar - to taste (to take away the acidic taste if you prefer)

1 (8oz) can tomato sauce

2 cups chicken broth (most recipes call for water. I like to use the broth from the chicken I boil. Or Swanson brand chicken broth. Or you can add 1-2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes to boiling water, then add the mixture to the sauce)

salt to taste (I usually hold out on most of the salt when I make enchiladas and add salt if needed to my plate)

Directions:
1. Heat pan
2. Toast flour
3. Add onion - onion should take about 1-5 minutes to cook depending on the amount of onion and how finely it is minced
4. Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, and sugar. Stir/cook for about 15-20 seconds
5. Add tomato sauce and broth.
6. Simmer and cook about 5 minutes

I always start out enchiladas by making the sauce so it can cool down and thicken while I prepare everything else.

No comments: