Monday, January 21, 2008

Baked Potato Soup


This recipes takes a little time and concentration and it makes plenty but it is delicious!
2/3 cup butter
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 large potatoes - bakes cooled peeled and cubed
4 green onions
10-12 strips bacon cooked and crumbled (bacon bits is easier)
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

melt butter over low heat. stir in flour. stir until smooth and bubbly, gradually add milk stirring constantly until sauce is thick. Turn up heat to medium high and stir in potatoes and green onions, keep stirring until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese is melted, and serve immediately.

4 comments:

wendy_d23 said...

mmmm, that sounds delicous. I will have to make it next week. Do I really have the bake the potatoes first? I think I will just cube and boil them.

Jellybean said...

I made this tonight. YUM!!!

Linny said...

yeah that would probably work fine, it is pretty hard to try and peel them when they are baked and you are too impatient to wait for them to cool

wendy_d23 said...

I made this last night so I added a picture. I did end up baking them and it turned out so good. For sure a keeper. I put some bread dough in the bread machine and then took it out and made bread soup bowls. It was seriously heaven. And jellybean suggested more bacon, which I did, but I could have had even more. mmmm, bacon.